Communique issued at the end of the Southern Governors Forum Meeting held on the 16th September, 2021 at the Coal City, Enugu State.
The Southern Governors Forum at its meeting today held at the Government House, Enugu, Enugu State reviewed the state of the nation and the progress of the implementation of the decisions reached in our previous meetings and further resolved as follows.
- The meeting expressed satisfaction with the rate at which the states in the Southern Nigeria are enacting or amending anti open grazing laws which allowed a uniform template and aspiration of Southern Governors and encouraged the states that are yet to enact the law to do so expeditiously.
- The meeting agreed to encourage the full operationalization of already agreed regional security outfit which will meet share intelligence and collaborate to ensure the security and safety of the region.
- The meeting reaffirmed its earlier commitment to stroke to fiscal federalism as resolved at the inaugural meeting of the forum held on Tuesday 11 May, 2021 at Asaba, Delta State and emphasize the need for the Southern States to leverage the legislative competence of their respective State Houses of Assembly, as well as representation in the National Assembly to pursue its inclusion in the Nigerian constitution, through the ongoing constitutional amendment.
- Following from paragraph three above, the meeting resolve to support the position that the collection of VAT falls within the powers of the states.
- The meeting expressed satisfaction with the array of issues around the Petroleum Industry Act, PIA and ownership of NNPC by the larger Nigerian Governors Forum.
- The meeting reiterated its earlier position that the next President of Nigeria most come from the southern part of Nigeria, in line with politics of equity, justice and fairness.
- The forum thanked the host Governor Right Honourable Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and chose Rivers State as the next host for the Southern Governors Forum meeting in November, 2021.