The Abia State police Command says it has identified and arrested, Nwachukeu Chinedu, the police officer who allegedly raped a female student of Abia State Polytechnic,Aba.
There have been series of protests by students of the institution against the rape of the student by a personnel of the Rapid Response Squard,RRS,in Aba.
The Public Relations Officer of Abia State Command of the Nigerian Police, Geoffrey Ogbonna in a statement expresses regret over the disgraceful act allegedly commited by the police officer.
The statement notes that after visiting the victim in the hospital and obtaining information from her,an investigation was carried out which led to the arrest of the suspect.
The Abia State Police Command while appealing to the polytechnic community for calm, assured that Justice must be done on the matter.
Earlier, The Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu condemned the alleged shooting by some Police officers at Students of the Abia State Polytechnic,Aba during a protest.
The students had on Thursday took to major exit and entry route in the commercial city to protest against an alleged rape of a female student by the personnel of the Rapid Response Squard (RRS).
Governor Ikpeazu in a press release by his Chief Press Secretary,Onyebuchi Ememanka,noted that the act of the police officers during the protest was excessive.
According to the Governor,shooting at unarmed students who were protesting the alleged sexual assault is against all known rules of engagement by law enforcement officers.
The wife of the Abia State Governor had visited the rape victim at the hospital and condemned the act, promising to ensure that the matter will not be swept under the carpet.
- 🔔Missing Journalist: NUJ Tasks Security Agencies On Resue
- 🔔Supreme Court Returns Banker Soludo As APGA Candidate in Nov.6 Anambra Election
- 🔔Ibrahim Abdullahi is New President Of NULGE FCT Chapter, Promises To Pursue LG Autonomy with HQ.
- 🔔Alleged Brutality And Extortion: Police Hq Condemns Assault On Traveller in Kogi days After One year #EndSARS Protest Anniversary (video)
- 🔔Open Grazing: PDP Knocks Governor Ayade Over Silence