The school should be a safe haven for every child, recently the Nigeria citadel of level especially the Secondary schools are growing into home and place of Horror and terror for our future leaders.
The Members, Board and Management of Civil Society Action Coalition on Education for All (CSACEFA) advocating for quality, safe and inclusive education are constrained to draw the attention of the Nigeria Security Agencies, the Federal Ministry of Education, Departments and Agencies, the Minister and Commissioners of Education, the Governors and President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to immediately look into the issues of violence in schools and find ways to curb them.
Policy Advisor in a statement says Day in day out we receive news and stories of all types of violence being perpetuated in schools on our children. Worrisome is the fact that most of the violence act on students are happening at the city centers where law enforcement is expected to be stringent.
We need not remind the government that there is urgent need to implement all the numerous policies put in place to protect children from attack in schools. These policies and laws ranging from the Child Right Act 2003, the Violence Against Person Prohibition Act, the Universal Basic Education Act derived from the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended, have spelt out rules and safety in schools, yet we have not seen any implementation of what so ever leading to curbing the issues of violence in schools.
In November 2021, precisely 25th to 27th, the Federal Republic of Nigeria played host to over 100 countries and hosted the Safe School Declaration (SSD). It is so pathetic to note that in less than one month after the conference issues of violence in schools resulting to death are still being recorded especially in Private schools.
The Coalition is pained by the news of the barbaric torture, fed with poisonous substance and leading to the death of 12 years old Sylvester Oromoni Jr. who until his death was a Junior Secondary student of Dowen College Lagos. Worrisome and painful is the manner in which the schools and teachers have been trivializing the issues, lying to the world and making us believe that the young promising and intelligent boy had a domestic accident in the field while playing football with his peers. This actions, by both the school and those who partake in this dastardly act is condemnable. It is also most heart breaking to see our children who were returning form school in Lagos also killed by government officials who should be civil in the enforcement of laws and obedience. Their recklessness led to the accidental death of Omole Primary school and Babs Fafunwa Millennium
Secondary School children returning from school in Lagos Nigeria. While thanking the Security Agencies, the Media and our sister organizations in the fight against School Based Gender Violence (SBGV) and all form of violence against women and children, we are requesting that;
- The Federal Government of Nigeria and the Various States Government should intensify efforts in ensuring that proper investigation is conducted into the death of Master Sylvester Oromoni, and other students who have been molested, degraded and killed in our schools whether in the private or public schools.
- Dowen teachers and management should be placed under strict supervision and monitored while the investigation into the torture and eventual death of Master Sylvester is conducted.
- Lagos State Government should within the Next one week be compelled by the Federal government and all well meaning Nigerians to hold weekly media briefing on the development of the investigation of the death of Master Sylvester Oromoni and other violence.
- Lagos State Government should also as a matter of urgency subject her LASMA staff and management to Psychological evaluation, to ascertain their fitness to enforce law. The coalition is making this call based on the death of Babs fafunwa Millennium Senior and Junior Secondary School children returning from school.
- All the LASMA officials involved in this recklessness that led to the death of our student should be arrested and prosecuted for murder and the appropriate punishment meted on them.
The Civil Society Action Coalition on Education for All (CSACEFA) is seeking for Justice for the death of Master Sylvester Oromoni, the school children killed by the recklessness of LASMA, and we are holding the Federal Government of Nigeria through Minister for Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu and the President of Federal Republic, General Muhammadu Buhari (Rtd). We therefore demand that the Minster of Education provide a comprehensive report on this violence.
May we at this point commensurate with the family of the innocent boy Master Sylvester Oromoni, and other students who have been molested, degraded and killed in our schools and all parents who are eagerly hoping for the safe return of their children from school. We pray that the Almighty God will have mercy on their souls.
- COEASU Says Litigation Against ASUU, Counterproductive, Asks FG To Be Ready To Also Take It To Court
- JAMB Conducts Supplimentary Exam For 67 Candidates
- Popular Nigerian Comedian Dares Philanthropy, Gives Back To Former School
- Organ Harvesting Allegation: Ekwerenmadu’s Daughter Sends SOS For Kidney Donation
- Shock As 7 Police Aides Attached To A Nigerian Federal Lawmaker Are Attacked, Killed(video)